Sunday, May 15, 2011

Expectations

I have recently been reflecting on some of the expectations I've had regarding home and family. Some of these expectations have been met, some haven't, some have been entirely different than I would have thought, etc. Here's some of the things I've been pondering.....(I think all this pondering is because of a certain upcoming birthday :))


I pictured having a quiet little peacemaker of a daughter who loves cuddling with her mommy, doing quiet activities and who always looks adorable. I pictured us being best friends as she got older. What I have: a fiesty, loud, little nugget who hates having her hair brushed and wearing clothes that match, but makes me laugh, run harder and faster, and will hopefully make me a stronger mother and wife. She is the complete opposite of me, but I hope we can still be best friends as she gets older.


"Mom, today in ballet class, we are learning how to pick fungus out of our toes." Side note, she is not in ballet class, but wearing a bathing suit and picking dry skin off her feet.


I pictured having a son who is quiet, cooperative,helpful, loving, a great student. What I have: a son who is loud, outgoing, helpful, loving, athletic and extremely energetic (which makes school and church a struggle sometimes!!). He is always on the go, which means there is never a quiet moment at our house or a dull moment in my life. :)


I pictured a little, petite baby boy (like his sister) who slept through the night by 4 months, took a pacifier and played quietly on the floor while I tended his older siblings. What I have: a huge chunk of love (18 lbs to be exact at 4 months) who makes my arms ache at the end of the day because he never wants to play on the floor and still demands feedings 2-3 times a night (partly because he won't take a pacifier). He is drooly, but smiley, and brings such a sweet spirit into our home.


I pictured a perfect, happy marriage to the man of my dreams. What I have: a happy marriage to a man that gets better every day. Our marriage isn't perfect, but we are enjoying our journey together toward perfection.

I realize that my expectations have been met, but they have had to change over the years. I have everything I want in life, even though some things are different than what I had pictured.

Some more pics:
Check out those cheeks and thighs!!

Mother's Day

5 comments:

Monique said...

Wow! Your baby is a chunk! Kinda like my babies! I love it! I feel much like you with my expectations. I liked ready about yours and reality :) Even though it's not EXACTLY what you imagined, it's perfet in it's own ways, right?

P.S. I love the comments you post about your little Lindsey. She's a hoot!!!

Adrienne said...

What a sweet post, Kacey! You're the most amazing mommy. I hope you realize that. :-)
You guys are our perfect friends and I wish we didn't live so far away from each other! We love you!

Quinae said...

I noticed a pattern of expecting quiet, mellow people.......yeah, I am pretty sure heavenly beings with a good view of your life is getting a good giggle out of it all. "No, lets send this one down! he he he he". Someone should do a post on - "Questions we didn't think to ask the mother of the man who would donate 50% of the genes to my kids." Because lets all be honest - our children's genetic surprises are not our fault, is it?

Natalie Smith said...

Amen. Great post. You are a great mommy and are a great example to us all. Lots of greats. :-)

megan said...

Holy cow Kacey! He is a hunk of love! He is so big and so so loveable! What a beautiful, fun family you have!!!