Saturday, April 02, 2011

I hope this sounds familiar........

After 6 years of not getting much out of conference weekend (see lds.org if you want to know more about this), Clint and I decided to switch off going to the stake center so we could actually hear some talks firsthand. I went this morning and found it delightful to sit for 2 hours in the dark listening to inspired men and women speak. It was quiet, peaceful and seriously addicting.

Clint headed to the afternoon session at the church and I headed upstairs to the playroom to watch it on the laptop. I settled the kids down with some snacks, crayons, and conference packets printed off of sugardoodle.The kids started quietly coloring and munching. I sat down with my notebook in hopes of actually taking some notes!! Well, this fine set-up lasted a whole 10 minutes. Somehow, things took a horrible turn for the worst. Crayons started flying, voices started raising, papers started flying, baby started crying (first, due to child #2 molestation and then due to starvation), chocolate started disappearing, and I started yelling (um, I mean raising my voice) and kicking people out of the playroom (um, I mean asking people to leave politely). I marveled at the irony of it all. I definitely needed to be hearing the things the speaker was saying, but I couldn't hear him because of the chaos my children were creating and the fact that I was riled up beyond comforting. I thought back to the touching morning talk about being like little children, and I asked myself how the current state of my children fit into that talk. At one point, Elder Oaks (at least I think it was Elder Oaks) spoke about the desires of our heart. I am sincerely hoping that the Lord knows the desire of my heart is to listen to every talk during conference, but I am not able to due to outside influences :)

I am hoping this happens to other families too. But if it doesn't, what do you do to enjoy the weekend?!? I always see this weekend going so much better in my head! But for now, I am looking forward to reading all the nuggets I missed listening to this afternoon next month in the Ensign (and I will be reading those in a quiet, dark, peaceful place (aka my closet).

4 comments:

Quinae said...

Ha ha ha! Yeah, I have NO idea what you are talking about. Yup definitely alone on this one (wink wink). I don't know why you thought coloring would last long. Next time go for the movie - you know, the one they love and if you are serious about success have one going upstairs and one down stairs with food everywhere and then you still need to know where your pause button is on your computer. Did you hear the one from Neilson where he recounted how when Joseph Smith was praying to the Lord about his hardships and where God couldn't change Joseph situation, he changed Joseph's perspective? I found that most insightful.

Monique said...

Oh, Kacey! This sounds all too familiar! Today actually went ok, but most of the time it's quite like your 2nd half of conference. I'm sure tomorrow will go much like your afternoon. What we did today was make the kids (sam and parker) watch as many talks as how old they were. So, Sam watched a total of 6 and Parker 4. Half in the morning session and half in afternoon...This meant they had to actually sit quietly and listen to EVERYTHING, including any musical numbers in between or whatever. It worked. They get a little antsy, but we would never be able to get them to listen to it all at this point! I think I'm going to print off the sugardoodle wrkshts. for tomorrow. Good idea! I always forget about those...Anyways, Good idea about going to the Stake Center in shifts. At least you got to enjoy the first half.:) Good luck tomorrow! I love the Ensign and quiet places!!!

The Siple Family said...

Familiar Yes . . .

Jennette said...

I don't even try to make my kids watch it. In my opinion 4, 2, and 6 months is just too young! They are more then welcome to watch it with us, but if they start being too loud they're asked to go play in their room, or color quietly at the table. I figure I'm going to get far more out of the talk then they will, and them seeing how important conference is to us is a good example to them. I'm sure this "plan" will change as they get older....but for now, you do what you gotta do!! Love ya, girl!