Friday, September 24, 2010

Happiness is......

reading to my children. I have always loved reading and I grew up with a book under my arm at all times. I think my favorite time in my reading life was when I would nurse Jack and read- we'd sit in our big old rocker for hours on end- him eating and me reading. It didn't work out so nicely when I nursed Lindsey :) Now, I try to squeeze in a book here and there, but usually I'm so tired before bed that I can't even read a chapter. Plus, my husband always feels deprived when I'm in the middle of a good book ( he likes to read too, but he's definitely missing the passion that I have).

Jack has always loved reading- he will be running around like a crazy man and then I will pull out a book. He immediately comes over and plops down and we are lost in the book together. Lindsey is learning to love reading as she gets older, but she doesn't usually have the attention span of her brother for books.

I picked out a little chapter book (Junie B Jones) at the library the other day thinking we could read a chapter a night. It's all about a little girl starting kindergarten. Much to my surprise, Jack wanted to read the whole thing in one night. Luckily, we had the time! Then, I pulled out a Magic Tree House chapter book (I've been collecting books for a while now) and we read that whole book last night. The biggest shocker was (you may want to sit down for this), Lindsey sat down next to Jack and I and listened to me read for 45 minutes (and there were only like 5 pictures in the book). I was so proud as a mother at that moment- both my kids snuggled up on the bed with me listening to me read and thoroughly enjoying themselves. The only one not content was baby, but he/she is never still :)

5 comments:

Natalie Smith said...

How wonderful to finally be at that stage for both kids to enjoy that! You are going to be visiting the library frequently.

Mindy Hales said...

Trevor loves to read too and it makes me so happy. I think Jack would really enjoy the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. They are long chapter books so they are probably a little old for him, but he will fall in love with Seth and all the trouble he gets into. The best part is that you'll love them too. In fact, you'll probably want to skip ahead after he is asleep to see how it ends.

The Reichmans said...

that is awesome that she sat with you for so long. When I was cleaning out for my pretend move I found a children's book list that you had given me from your early childhood education days. I need to start getting some of those...
thanks for your cute card-it made me happy

Anonymous said...

I love Junie B Jones books!

Kelli said...

That's great. I'm the same way about reading. And I love to read chapter books to my little kindergartner too.