Thursday, June 17, 2010

Goodbye Gigi!!


Gigi (which happens to also be what my kids call my grammy, so grammy if you're reading this, don't be alarmed :)) was my first car that I bought. I needed a car for school and had finally saved up enough money from nannying that I could afford to buy something. My parents had a friend that could buy cars from auctions, so my dad and this boy I thought was pretty cool to hang out with headed down to the lot to check things out. I immediately found my car : a 1993 midnight blue manual Infiniti G20.
This car took me to school and then racked up quite a few miles driving back and forth to Rexburg, ID to visit the boy that I thought was pretty cool. I married this boy the following summer and so "my car" became "our car." Gigi took us down the Oregon Coast for our honeymoon, back to Provo in the fall, and then back to Seattle the next April. We drove to Whistler for our 1st anniversary, then to SunRiver, Oregon the following summer. This trusty car took us to the hospital to deliver our first son and helped us return home again to begin life as a threesome. Unfortunately, we had a long baby, so once Jack hit 6 months and outgrew the infant seat, there was no room for a rear facing carseat in the backseat. So, Clint and I switched cars and he began his journey with Gigi.
5 years later, Gigi began to show her age. The stereo system was starting to go and Clint couldn't indulge in his favorite past time (music) on his way to work anymore. We weren't sure how much longer Gigi was going to be with us, but we were thinking we would drive her to the death. However, quite unexpectedly, an opportunity to buy an older(yes, 1 year OLDER) car with less miles on it came up. We purchased a 1992 Honda Accord with half the miles of Gigi on it. I had a really hard time with this, especially because Gigi is still going strong and it is an automatic (did I mention how much I love to drive stick?!?), but I am grateful for a car with a few less miles and for a great stereo system for my husband to listen to on his way to work. The new car has already been deemed the White Knight.

Goodbye Gigi. May you bring your new owner as much joy and happiness as you brought us.

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

Aaahhhh, goodbye Gigi...

Natalie Smith said...

It is crazy how attached to a car you can become!?! My car that was stolen...brings me close to tears sometimes - still! - and it was a few years ago, but that was the car that I worked for and so many memories with Weston were in it and I thought my fmaily would have it FOREVER! oh well...they are just things, RIGHT!? Yay for a new car!

Spencer and Erin said...

This would have been a perfect post, but you failed to mention that you finally made it into our elite club..the honda club...this makes a grand total of 7 (if you include Grams)..amazing..what family has that many honda accords?? but i love the car!! so cute!

CK Morgan said...

that is truly sad...but I would need good music too! haha Great writing kc

lilibet said...

Well, it is already loved. :)

The Reichmans said...

oh that makes me even a little sad-we had some great memories in that car. I hope the white knight helps you make lots more great memories:)