Monday, March 23, 2015

Redefining

It's been a long time. Sometimes I missed blogging, other times I didn't. I have decided to blog for myself. I'm tired of comparing myself, my children, my marriage, my home to others. It was making me miserable.

Life got hard after baby #4. My life was over as I had known it. I was no longer fun mom....I was frazzled, overwhelmed mom who cried and yelled a lot. Other moms had their stuff together and I compared myself a lot. Luckily, I had great friends there to help (at least until many of them had babies of their own!) And that part of my life will have to be a blog post of its own. It's not fair when #4 is your hardest baby.

We bought a house FINALLY. It was 20 minutes away in a community that was 10% lds. It went so smoothly and we were excited to have a place of our own and be in a safe neighborhood with great schools. I was excited to make new friends and for my kids to have more friends their ages.

Moving was more emotionally taxing than I had imagined. I cried a lot and questioned our move almost daily over the next few months. It was really hard to make friends. Our new ward was not overly friendly and we felt lost among a lot of other young families with young kids. We promised ourselves it would get better and tried harder. I felt more like myself when I stopped nursing Lauren. The hormones made me pretty crazy for the year. I felt a little more control when the kids went back to school after a hard summer.

We will celebrate our 1 year anniversary on Saturday. I still have no close friends in my new ward. The Relief Society teachers don't know my name when they call on me and many Sundays I make it through the entire block without a conversation with anyone. This is partly my fault, I realize, but I am terribly lonely. There is a certain mold in the ward and community that I don't fit into. I drive an old van, have loud obnoxious children, don't work out at the gym, wear things from 3 seasons ago,  don't have money to travel every school break, don't have any amazing talent, etc. Okay. Enough with the woe be me. However, if Clint ends up finding a job in another state (as he is losing his current job soon...go figure), I am all over that.

I must do something because I can't continue like this, especially if we live here for a long time. I am choosing to  redefine myself and not let others' lives affect my self worth. After 4 kids,  I have lost myself. I must find things that I enjoy, am good at and bring happiness to myself and others. Friends bring me much happiness (and most of mine are 20 minutes away now), but I can't be defined by how many I have.

 I am hoping blogging again will be a good outlet....even if it is just for me.

Here's to redefinition.

4 comments:

Jeanelle said...

Oh Kacey, I'm sorry this move has been so hard and that the ward isn't recognizing how wonderful your family is. Hopefully your family has grown closer as you've had to rely more on each other and less on friends. Hang in there...and keep blogging! xoxo

Bardsleyland said...

Kacey, big hugs to you. Parenting can be so, so hard, and lonely. You've taken a brave first step by being honest and real. Absolutely no shame in that. Cheers to blogging and redefining!

Anonymous said...

You probably don't know me, but this post was kind of a god-send to me. I too, lost myself once I had my fourth baby 8 weeks early. I felt like I suddenly became a tired, existing robot. You are not alone, and I would totally be your friend if you were closer! I have been in my ward for 6 years and still feel pretty much invisible. Keep your head up and keep pushing on. Thank you for your bravery in posting this. Best of luck to you

Koko said...

Kacey - I miss our visits together and visiting teaching. You are a wonderful person and talents are many and varied. I think Heavenly Father knew I needed piano as I was desperate for attention as a child haha. You are a very real person and I love your kids too! Guess what - number 4 was my hardest too and she is a wonderful lady. Take it a day at a time, put yourself out there and find someone like you who also is looking for friends (by the way, my first little while here I cried because I was lonely - and I'm not a big crier). One other thing - if you haven't already, pray to Heavenly Father for a friend/friends...you might be surprised. Love ya!