Three weeks ago I found out that I was carrying a non-viable fetus at my 10 week check-up. I decided to wait and let my body rid itself of the fetus rather than having a D&C right away. Ummm, wrong choice. For three weeks, I still felt and looked pregnant and wondered if every cramp meant the miscarriage was starting. Last night the real show began....
I was crampy and spotty all day, but didn't think much of it. I really wasn't thinking it was going to be a huge deal- a heavy period- I had been told. After Clint left for a church meeting, the pain and bleeding took a turn for the worst. He came home quickly and put the kids to bed while I talked to the on-call ob on the phone. He prescribed a med for me to take that would help speed the process along. Clint hopped in the car to pick up the prescription. Meanwhile, while talking to my mom on the phone, I started to feel really dizzy and felt like I was going to faint. I did not think this was such a good thing since I had lost so much blood. I called 911 since I was all alone and crawled down the stairs to unlock the front door to let them in. Clint, our neighbor and the firemen showed up at the same time and suggested I get to the hospital. My dad showed up to stay with the sleeping kids and my mom came with us to the hospital. Thank goodness for having family so close.
Luckily, it is only a 5 minute drive so we took our own car instead of having the drama of riding in an aid car. They got me in quickly and got me as comfortable as they could. I felt like I was birthing another child without an epidural. The ob (who I had talked to earlier on the phone- the one that said 9 out of 10 women can do this on their own at home :)) took one look at me and said we were going to the OR for a D&C. I lost a lot of blood , but they didn't have to do a transfusion. After a quick surgery and a much longer recovery, we finally headed home at 3 am.
I am feeling much better today- just really tired from lack of sleep. Clint stayed home and helped with the kids since I wasn't supposed to drive anywhere today.
I am just happy to have the whole ordeal over. It was difficult to have the emotional grieving happen first, then the anticipation of the physical pain, and then the actual physical pain. Luckily, I had the support of many friends and family members.
When I woke up from anesthesia, I was crying and telling the nurse how blessed I was. She probably thought I was crazy :). But, I do feel very blessed- I have family and good friends in the area to help with our kids, the hospital wasn't busy so everything moved quickly, the nurses and doctors were all very kind and capable, and I honestly felt the Lord's hand through this entire experience.
It was definitely a night of firsts though:
First miscarriage
First call to 911
First firetruck in front of our house (thankfully they didn't drive up with the lights and sirens)
First trip to the ER
First anesthesia
First surgery
First time losing 5 lbs in one night
However, I am hoping that these are firsts and lasts (except for the losing 5 lbs one- I didn't mind that one :))!
Sorry, no pictures to document the experience. I was thinking this morning how thrilled Jack would have been to see the firetruck in front of our house, seeing me rolled around in a huge bed with wheels all over the hospital, being loopy after waking up from surgery, etc.
The much happier patient today.
10 comments:
I am SO SORRY! That sounds awful and painful. I'm glad it's over and I hope you know how wonderful I think you are!
I am sorry for your night of 1st! Glad you have so many friends and family close to help out! Our prayers are with you and your family!
Kacey Girl,
Oh, I am so sorry. It sounds like a rough time. You are being so positive. You are such a sweetie and I hope all goes well. I love you!
I'm so sorry, Kacie! It's true, having family around is a huge blessing. I'm so glad they were there to help.
I am SO sorry for everything you have gone through. It sounds like it has been quite the awful ordeal. You are so strong and have such a great attitude though.
I've known quite a few women who have had similar experiences with early miscarriages, it seriously makes me wonder about the 9 out of 10 statistic. I'm so sorry Kacey; it's never easy, even without the trip to the ER. Best wishes.
Oh kace i am glad that things are over, but so sorry that it was so horrible. I have been thinking about you lots and hope you heal quickly. Glad you got to see wicked-isn't it incredible? Love you
What a night...I'm so sorry! I can relate with you. I had an ectopic between Sam and Parker, so I know what it's like. I had a surgery as well. Not fun. I hope you're doing better today. It's so nice you have your parents around and a great hubby! I'm glad everything turned out ok in the end. I'll be thinking of you!
Oh Kacey, I am so sorry. Krista is right, you are such a sweetheart to stay positive through so much crap. I hope you are feeling lots better. Jenna is in town this week, so if you are feeling up to it we should get together. Lots of love!!
Wow! I hope you don't mind that I found your blog.... I just wanted to say that I think you are AMAZING! I can't say that I totally understand what you have been going through but we had a similar experience with our first pregnacy. Thanks for being such a great example to me and remember that we are just around the corner if you need anything!
Maybe one day I will actually make it to play group.....
Post a Comment