Thursday, May 08, 2008

Ahh, the joys.... (Reader/viewer discretion advised)

I think I have discovered the biggest joy of parenting. No, it's not sacrament meetings with 2 children, sibling rivalry, blow-outs, food fights. It's toilet training. I have loved every minute of it. Uh, I don't think so. The last 6 days have been pure torture. We decided the time has come to finally force our almost 3 1/2 year old child to use the potty. Saturday, Jack and I hit it hard. We drank lots ot fun drinks, read stories, went on the potty 5 times, had a celebratory potty party, etc. Then, Sunday...Jack refused to go to the bathroom all day long and then had 2 enormous accidents. Monday, same thing. Tuesday, it finally clicked. No, he did not magically use the bathroom by himself, but we did get a poop and a few pees in the trusty old pot after I chased him around the house, pulled down his pants and practically held him down. We haven't left the house for more than an hour at a time in the last 6 days and I have probably done at least 10 loads of laundry and cleaned up 10 accidents. Ahh, the joys....

I think his shirt is especially appropriate. "Grandma and Grandpa brought me this shirt from Niagra Falls just to show me they love me."

Oops, Lindsey. I don't think you've got it quite yet.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Oh... good for you... good luck with keeping the potty training sanity. Tell Jack we are SO proud of him! We miss you guys!!! I hope you're loving the new house.

megan said...

Oh good luck! Has he got it down now? Or at least is it better? Can you go out for a little bit longer times? Keep us updated! Not so much fun...but soon it will be over and you have one less diaper to change!

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you- I HATE potty training. We're still having issues with Danny. Let me know if you find any magic fixes. Good luck!!!

Courtney ♥ said...

Good luck and take notes for me. Logan's doctor made me feel bad he said the prime time to train boys was from 27-29 months old which was way a long time ago-we tried and tried and the concept didn't work with him-so I will just wait til he's ready-so not fun-but either is changing diapers.