Thursday, March 01, 2012

And that's why she's always so thirsty......


Lindsey has always been the thirstiest gal I have ever met. Today, I found out why. One of her kidneys is substantially smaller than the other. We were made aware of this a few months ago when she had her surgery and multiple ultrasounds. We met with a specialist today to discuss it in further detail. You really only need one functioning kidney and the other one serves as your "spare tire". Lindsey still has a spare tire, but it's not a Michelin. :) She will have to take some precautions throughout her life, "kidney sparing lifestyle", as the doc referred to it (avoiding excessive animal protein, blood pressure checks/bloodwork, limited pregnancies (I hope this one doesn't cause a big problem!)). The reflux causes thirst, as can the kidney issue. And that, in a very long-winded answer, is the reason why Lindsey is so thirsty :)
The great news is that the reimplantation surgery was a smashing success and we no longer have to see the pediatric urologist!

This boy is walking! Finally! He is into EVERYTHING, but his cute little smile helps us forgive his messes and destruction :) He's beginning to say a few words and while he still doesn't like naps, he's giving us a solid 10 hours each night. Hooray!


Playtime! These 3 are the best of friends or the worst of enemies- it changes by the day.

My favorite quote as of late:
The days are long, but the years are short.

So true. Here's to enjoying those days!


6 comments:

Koko said...

I nearly thought you were going to write that she's diabetic (it's on my brain haha). I'm glad you're figuring things out and her operation was a success! Cute kids for sure!

Sheryl said...

I love that quote, who said "The days are long but the years are short?"

Natalie Smith said...

man! I have had the hardest time commenting on this.

I love the moments when everyone is playing together and it feels like the world is at peace! So wonderful.

It is very interesting about the findings with Lindsey.

I do love that quote, too!

Parker and Carly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Parker and Carly said...

I'm so glad you're finding answers! It must take a toll. Your kids are ADORABLE!

Quinae said...

Somehow I missed this post. I remember learning in nursing school that you only need 10% of one kidney to function properly. Apparently they are built to not work optimally and not be a problem. Strange huh?