Some of you may or may not know this, but I have had a part time (sometimes full-time job) with a company that offers science camps and after-school clubs for the last 7 years. I got the job to work as a camp instructor the summer after Clint and I married. I taught another summer before having Jack. After that, my fabulous manager was so very flexible and let me start working part time (mostly from home). I taught club trainings on Saturdays and ordered supplies and did other admin things from home. It was a perfect way to earn a little extra cash and keep my foot in the working/teaching world. I kept it up even after Lindsey was born. I would take the kids with me to visit camp sites during the summer and taught our big summer camp trainings once a year (sometimes having to pump a few times during the day).
I even had the opportunity to travel!I traveled to California to get trained for a few days. Then, after Lindsey was born, I received an award from the company that bought our smaller company out. They flew me ( and 10 week old Linds) to Arizona for a conference and special ceremony to present awards. I kept her in the Moby the whole time and some people didn't even realize I had a baby with me!Then, a few months later, I flew to Colorado for another training. Since Lindsey was still so little, I brought my sis along to watch her while I trained. Last year, I took a quick trip to Kansas City to train some new employees on our science projects. I had extra time to go to Carthage and Independence and have some much needed alone time!
This week, I found out that the larger parent company does not need the employees of our smaller science company any more. We have all been let go. I haven't been working nearly as much as I used to work, but I still have had a true sense of loss. I have had a wonderful journey with this company learning many new things, meeting wonderful people and feeling like I was making a difference with children other than my own. The loss of income won't kill us, but it was nice for the extra things in life. I don't know if I will ever find another job that was so flexible.
Thanks for the great ride.
I even had the opportunity to travel!I traveled to California to get trained for a few days. Then, after Lindsey was born, I received an award from the company that bought our smaller company out. They flew me ( and 10 week old Linds) to Arizona for a conference and special ceremony to present awards. I kept her in the Moby the whole time and some people didn't even realize I had a baby with me!Then, a few months later, I flew to Colorado for another training. Since Lindsey was still so little, I brought my sis along to watch her while I trained. Last year, I took a quick trip to Kansas City to train some new employees on our science projects. I had extra time to go to Carthage and Independence and have some much needed alone time!
This week, I found out that the larger parent company does not need the employees of our smaller science company any more. We have all been let go. I haven't been working nearly as much as I used to work, but I still have had a true sense of loss. I have had a wonderful journey with this company learning many new things, meeting wonderful people and feeling like I was making a difference with children other than my own. The loss of income won't kill us, but it was nice for the extra things in life. I don't know if I will ever find another job that was so flexible.
Thanks for the great ride.
5 comments:
Oh Kacey...That is so sad! It was a great job. What a blessing while it lasted!
I'm sorry. That's never fun.
What a bummer... I am sure you will be missed. If it makes you feel any better, you are making a difference in the lives of all of the Primary children! You are so good with them and they sounded wonderful in the program today. Great job!
I really am sorry for you-Since I work part time as well I know what it is like to have something that is completely your own and outside of your kids-somewhere to feel like a "real" person. I don't mean to make that sound like I don't love being a mom because I really really do, it is just nice sometimes to have a little outlet. So what I am trying to say is that I am sorry-it is their loss because you are such an incredible person.
Too bad! I kinda know how you feel. I want to stay at home but am having a hard time letting go of my part time teaching job!
Post a Comment